So what do you do when organic cherry tomatos are buy one get one free??? Make salsa of course! Thank you to my amazing sister in law Joy for her super yummy fresh and healthy recipe!
2 cartons of cherry tomatoes
2 large jalopenos (deseeded)
2 large cloves of garlic
2 tsp apple cidervinegar
1/2 medium sweet onion
1 tsp hot chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
Salt and Pepper to taste
Hand chop all fresh ingredients I use a Pampered Chef hand chopper and do each ingrediant individiually and add it to a bowl. Chop to the consistency you like. I prefer my salsa to be very fine no large pieces. Pour in vinegar, chili powder and cumin. Mix all together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill in fridge 30 minutes allowing ingredients to marinate together. Serve over your favorite veggies!
I had a cheat night and had a half of a half of baked potato covered with salsa along side some yummy meatloaf and purple cauliflower!
Of course we all know typical pasta is not paleo but I have been craving seafood fra diavolo badly! My local grocery store had wild caught squid the other day so I scooped up all of it to create something spicy enough to fill the need for a spicy seafood dish but also quick and healthy. Last weekend was also the start of the winter farmers market here in town so I had two great Spaghetti Squash to use as my “pasta”! This recipe fed 4 plus 2 left over servings for hubby and I to take for lunch tomorrow!
Garlicky Red Pepper Seafood
1lb uncooked wild caught squid (tubes and tentacles but use which ever you prefer)
1lb cooked shrimp (de-tailed I hate pulling tails off while your eating!)
4 heaping cups of spinach (this will cook down so feel free to add more if you like)
1 large garlic clove minced
1/4 large sweet onion finely chopping
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
4 tbsp olive oil
Red Pepper Flakes
Spaghetti Squash “Pasta”
2 medium cut in half and deseeded
Directions for Squash
1. Preheat oven 425
2. Season flesh side of squash with salt and pepper
3. Place flesh side down on thin layer of water on baking sheet
4. Bake 40 minutes
5. Using fork gently scrape flesh into bowl
If you are good at managing your time you can start prepping your seafood while squash bakes or just keep it in the microwave on warm until you need it.
Directions for Seafood
1. In mixing bowl place squid season with salt, pepper, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp garlic powder mix well
2. Warm 2 tbsp olive oil
3. Once warm add garlic and onion (they should sizzle a little when they hit the pan thats when it is warm enough but be careful not to over cook your garlic) the onion and garlic are done when they become fragrant
4. Add seasoned squid and sauté 1 minute (this cooks quick and you don’t want it to be rubbery and over cooked)
5. Add shrimp to squid sauté 1 minute (shrimp in my recipe were precooked so I just needed to warm them but if you use raw throw them right in with squid initially)
6. Add spinach, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp garlic powder and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp dried basil and sauté and continuously stir till spinach is wilted approx. 3-4 minutes
7. Serve over your spaghetti squash